Sunday, September 20, 2009

On Craigslist

Ah, Craigslist. Like the proverbial little girl-with-the-curl, when it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's bad, it's horrid. Idly scanning through housing listings, I have discovered a few things. In our area, most of the postings are by apartment complex managers, who seem to post multiple times a day with slightly varying descriptions ("Fantastic Carrboro apartments!! Only one left!" and then a few postings down, the same apartment complex: "Multiple floorplans available! Convenient to everything!"). I believe I have discovered a Craigslist law, to wit: the more exclamation points in the description/title, the less likely it is you want whatever it is that is being titled. The amount of exclamation points in listings for housing, for example, seems directly proportional to how depressing the apartment complex actually is. If it's in ALL CAPS and with EXCLAMATION POINTS!!! then there has probably been a murder/suicide in the complex in the last month--but your drug dealer will be CONVENIANTLEY [sic] NEARBY!

No comments: