I'm reading a journal of mine from four years ago. It's amazing to look back and see the same themes, the same people--even the same preoccupation with shoes. In the journal I also wrote down dreams, and here's one of the most vivid dreams I ever had. I still remember it, like a memory, and rereading the account of it most of it comes back. It felt like a deeply archetypal dream. Any Jungian 101 interpretations are welcome. I'm putting it up exactly as I wrote it, the morning I woke up.
Big Dream
Somewhere in France--not Paris--along a river. 2 families, one with a young son and one with a young daughter. Both children have dark hair and dark eyes, though the boy's skin is more pale. Both families are tourists. There is a museum and an African restarant that figure prominently. The boy and girl's paths cross, but they do not meet. I buy the girl a white bicycle at a grocery store which she rides around. Her parents are dead and she is taken care of by her aunt and grandmother. So throughout the dream the boy and girl see each other. The boy is accompanied only by this father. His parents are divorced (the African restarant is where they met?). The little girl and I are meeting the grandmother and aunt at the African restarant. A black woman near the door tells us that the food isn't nearly as good as in Tangiers and I don't know if she means the country or the restarant. I am very concerned that we haven't remembered the right restarant when I finally see the girl's guardians. The boys father is having what looks to be a business meeting while the little boy plays. The boy's father is not respectable. Later he gets into an argument on the roof and it turns into a gunfight, which he survives thanks to a bulletproof vest. After it is over he loooks for the little boy, who has run away up the hill in fight. I find his hiding place and give him the bicycle. He steps out of the hiding place the next morning and grabs the hand of a country woman walking by with her husband and children. They are on a day trip to town. Julian (for some reason this is the point where the little boy is named) doesn't speak French. They take him with them home. The next day they return to town with the bicycle and try to find who he belongs to, but his father has been arrested and the little girl and I have left. In the end the family keeps Julian, though they rename him Michel.
Many years later, everyone converges on the town again. Julian still has the bicycle and has ridden it into town. On it he nearly runs into the little girl, who is no longer little. They spend the day together and eventually discover that they have the same memories of one day in their childhood. They go back to the museum and meet Julian's father, who grabs Julian by the hand and the wrist and says, "You must be my son. Julian denies it, saying his father is a prosperous farmer from the village.
Weird, isn't it? So detailed. I see it like a movie in my mind...
No comments:
Post a Comment