Normally I dislike Maureen Dowd's columns. Somehow, they always seem kind of flighty and gossipy. Today's column, however--entitled "Men Just Want Mommy"--caught my eye for obvious reasons. And here's what I found out:
**"Men would rather marry their secretaries than their bosses, and evolution may be to blame" says John Schwartz of the NY Times. Actually, I think men may be to blame, but whatever. I love how all our metanarratives about evolution favor men over women. Perhaps bears do have a disciplinary social structure after all! (Inside joke.)
**"A new study by psychology researchers at the University of Michigan, using college undergraduates, suggets that men going for long-term relationships would rather marry women in subordinate jobs than women who are supervisors." Dr. Stephanie Brown, [unmarried, presumably] the lead author of the study, said, "Powerful women are at a disadvantage in the marriage market because men may prefer to marry less accomplished women." Women, by contrast, didn't show a difference in their attraction to men who might work above or below them. Generously, "men did not show a preference when it came to one-night stands."
**A study at four British universities suggests that men with demanding jobs would rather have "old-fashioned" wives, like their mothers. AND HERE'S THE KICKER: The study found that high I.Q. hampers a woman's chance to get married, while it is an advantage for men. The prospect for marriage increased by 35 percent for guys with each 16-point increase in I.Q. For women, there is a 40 percent drop for each 16 point rise.
I'm not sure if this is 16 point increase from the mean, or from 0; either way, it looks like my chances of getting married have just dropped about 100%.
Now accepting donations of cats.
1 comment:
Funny Lisa, but I was just planning to write a blog entry on this editorial. I've been thinking about it all day. It seems to hit a bunch of social nerves that have been vibrating within me lately.
P.S. I wonder if those IQ studies controlled for women who weren't seeking a partner...
Post a Comment