Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dutch Television, Pt. 3 in an Ongoing Series


One of the rules of Dutch television--as far as I have been able to tell--is that one will come in on any given one at the least explicable point. Even with my 70% Dutch comprehension, I still have no idea what was going on in this scenario: an echt Nederlandse jongen, tall, stretched-thin, blue eyed, clutching a large wooden dildo. A shaman of some kind (this is Indonesia, I gather) is performing some kind of ritual that is causing the guy to keep saying, "God, this is crazy. I am so insane to be doing this." After the ritual, the doctor tells the guy not to get himself wet or have sex for the next three days.

Next channel, next hour: three average looking, middle-aged Dutch men. Sitting in a large, heart-shaped jacuzzi bathtub. With bubbles. And, I hasten to add, bathing trunks. They are discussing bicycles. How did they end up in the bathtub? What larger point is being made? Why discuss bicycles in the bathtub? It's all a mystery to me.

No comments: