And the answer is: probably not. A Czech artist was commissioned to head a team of 27 artists, each representing one member state of the European Union, to create a large scale piece of art to mark the 6-month term that the Czech republic will be head of the Union.
What he did instead was get a couple of his friends together, get high (that's just a guess on my part) and make a map of Europe in which Bulgaria is represented by hole-in-the-floor toilets, the Netherlands is under water, the German Autobahn is shaped like a swastika, and France is on strike.
I might mention in passing here that the Czech president, Vaclav Klaus, is, shall we say, not one of the more E.U. friendly politicians around. He resents and has spoken openly against what he perceives to be further encroachment by the E.U. on national sovereignty. And he thinks climate change is "a myth" and says that "other top-level politicians do not express their global warming doubts because a whip of political correctness strangles their voice."* There was concern on the part of the European establishment that his tenure as putative head of the E.U. would be controversial and contentious. This seems like an excellent opening salvo.
*These quotes were taken from some conservative blog that came up when I googled Klaus. I'm too lazy to track down the original site, and I refuse to link to someone that refutes global warming by saying: "Look, it's snowing outside!"
No comments:
Post a Comment