Watching 60 Minutes (explanation as to why I'm watching a show whose target demographic is 30 years older than I am: I'm at my parent's house) and they are doing a piece on Blackwater airplane crash in Afghanistan. Several Blackwater employees ("contractors," "mercenaries") were killed--and apparently, at least one of them was alive for quite some time after the crash, but no efforts were made to rescue them. Outraged families sued, as is the American Way. Blackwater claimed it had no responsibility, because the crash happened in Afghanistan. Apparently, under Islamic law, employers are not responsible for what happens to their employees.
Take a moment to ponder the fantastic-tude of an American company, paid some ungodly amount of money because we've outsourced our wars to private companies (which has proven to be so much cheaper, no?), hiding under Islamic law to escape from taking responsibility for their employees. The mind boggles.
No comments:
Post a Comment