Monday, April 12, 2010

Thought Roulette

~ A while back someone friend requested me on Facebook. Their name sounded vaguely familiar--I thought they were a friend of a friend with whom I'd gone drinking a couple of times--so I accepted. Now I'm increasingly sure I don't actually know this person, but I haven't unfriended them. Somehow, a stranger's life (or, anyway, their status updates) are almost as interesting as those of people I do know. Draw your own conclusions.

~ The depths to which we have sunk: hallucinogens are being studied for their possible therapeutic effects, under "rigorous protocols and safeguards," of course. As long as it's happening in a lab, with scientists, then it's real. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of goddamn hippies making excuses for not being Good Americans. George Carlin says:

~ You know, the really unforgivable thing about conservatives is that they are so rarely funny. (Funny on purpose, I mean, but even when they're funny in a "Like such as what, Katie" way, it's only funny in the same way watching someone fall down is funny--monkey funny, primal funny.) I think it is because the true foundation of humor is the tragic, and conservatives generally respond to tragedy with sentimentality. Perhaps this will be the topic of my seventh unfinished dissertation.

~ By the way, if you have a bottle of Scotch you'd like to trade for a dissertation topic, email me.

No comments: