Thursday, October 04, 2007

the people who read the new york times

Are clearly effete liberal intelligensia, else why would the top emailed article today be about shortening the time it takes to get a Ph.D.?

I read the article, but the part where they called up some Princeton grads and had them talk about how great it was that they didn't have to teach and could just write their dissertation, etc. etc. made me lose some enamel on my teeth, what with the grinding and gnashing, and so I moved on. Look, people, state schools have no incentive to rush us through our Ph.D.'s. As long as we are there, they are getting highly qualified people to teach undergrads at a cost of $15,000 a year. They don't care if it takes us 8.2 years (the average, by the way, and can I say, "Look, mom and dad, I'm average!"). Our professors care, but the institution doesn't.

Also, a study has been done that shows that women who self-silence in arguments with their spouse (who repress/suppress their true feelings in an argument) are four times as likely to die of heart disease as women who don't. The researchers say, "This doesn't mean women should start throwing plates." But you know what I think.

Watch out for the shards, they're sharp.

No comments: